Ms. Powers has more than 30 years of experience in administrative law, handling cases before a wide range of administrative agencies. She has represented zoning and permit clients before the Boards of Appeals of Anne Arundel County, Talbot County, Queen Anne’s County, City of Annapolis, Town of Leonardtown, and other jurisdictions. She has handled cases in other matters ranging from the Anne Arundel County Animal Control Commission, Amusement License Commission, Board of License Commissioners, Personnel Board, and tax appeals.
Ms. Powers has more than 30 years of experience as an appellate lawyer, handling cases from the beginning level of administrative agency hearings and Maryland District Court trials, through the circuit courts, and to both the Maryland Court of Special Appeals and Maryland Court of Appeals. Ms. Powers has more than 15 years of experience in alternative dispute resolutions, including mediation and arbitration. She incorporates her background and training in social work in resolving complex land use, property and business disputes, and in general civil matters. She created the day-of-court volunteer mediation program for civil disputes that is now being used in the District Courts throughout the State of Maryland.
Ms. Powers also has more than 30 years of experience in land use. She provides advice on land development issues and handles variance, special exception, and other administrative hearings. As an Assistant County Attorney for the Anne Arundel County Office of Law, Ms. Powers represented the Office of Planning and Zoning in hearings before the Board of Appeals and on appeals to the Circuit Court and appellate courts. As Zoning Counsel for Howard County, Ms. Powers appears at all Zoning Board hearings relating to piecemeal zoning map amendments and produces evidence and testimony, as appropriate, in support of the comprehensive zoning classification for a property. She also advises citizens and speaks to groups on request regarding zoning procedures in Howard County.
Ms. Powers also handles real property and real estate issues, including the drafting of real estate contracts.
- Civil Litigation
- Administrative law
- Appeals, administrative and civil
- Mediation and arbitration
- Land use, including zoning, subdivision, development, permitting, and environmental issues in state, county, and municipal jurisdictions; presentation of variances, special exceptions, and re-zonings in administrative proceedings; real estate, real estate contracts
- J.D., 1982, cum laude, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- Master of Social Work, with highest honors, 1978, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor of Arts, 1977, summa cum laude, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
- Mediation and Domestic Mediation Training, MICPEL, 1999
- Howard County Zoning Counsel, Howard County Council (since 2001)
- Adjunct Professor, Anne Arundel County Community College, Legal Studies Institute (since 2012)
- Hearing Examiner, Anne Arundel County Board of Education (2000 – 2002)
- Assistant Attorney General, Maryland Department of Natural Resources (1991-1996)
- Associate, Brassel and Baldwin, P.A. (1987-1991)
- Assistant County Attorney, Anne Arundel County Office of Law (1983-1987)
- Associate County Attorney, Prince George's County Office of Law (1982-1983)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Martindale-Hubble BV Distinguished rating by peers for legal ability and ethical standards
- Certificate of Appreciation, Maryland District Court, Volunteer Mediation Coordinator, 2001
- Maryland State Bar Association, including service as a Trustee for the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, 2004 to 2006, and as a Member of the Real Property Section Council, 2009 to 2011
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association, including service as the Chairman, Continuing Legal Education Committee, 1992 to 1994
- Trial Courts Nominating Commission, Anne Arundel County, 2007 to 2008
- Maryland Police Legal Advisors Committee, 1993 to 1997
- MICPEL Board of Trustees, 1993 to 1994
- Board of Directors, Anne Arundel County CASA, Inc., 1994 to 2003
- MICPEL training evaluator, 1999 to 2005
Ms. Powers has practiced in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels. A sample of a recent significant reported appellate opinion is:
- Clickner v. Magothy River Ass'n, 424 Md. 253, 35 A.3d 464 (2012), representing the owner of an island against members of the public who claimed a right to use the beach, with the highest appellate court holding that the public had no such right and the owner was entitled to construct a fence along the shoreline above mean-high tide